Sunday, January 9, 2011

Michael Jackson, Artist of the Century


January 9, 2002: At the 29th annual American Music Awards, which took place at the Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles (USA), Michael Jackson was awarded the 'Artist of the Century Award'. 

Actor/comedian Chris Tucker had the honour of presenting the award to his friend:
Michael Jackson is the biggest selling artist of all time. And Thriller remains the largest selling album all over the world. For his outstanding musical contributions in the 1970's, '80's and '90's the American Music Awards presents Michael Jackson with this year's 'Artist Of The Century Award'. Ladies and gentlemen would you please welcome a good friend of mine, the King Of Pop, Mr. Michael Jackson.
As he took to the stage to accept his award, Michael was greeted with a standing ovation from the cheering crowd before he began his speech:
First I would like to say; Chris Tucker, you are the funniest man in the world. Larry Cline, Dick Clark. [to Chris Tucker, handing him the award] Can you hold this for me? [while reaching in his pocket for a piece of paper] I'd like to thank people that are very important in my life. My mother and father, John McClain, Nicoletta Sotille, Rodney Jerkins, I think you're a musical genius, and Teddy Riley. I love you Quincy Jones, you're amazing. Trudy Green, Howard Kaufman, Suzzane De Passe, Tony Jones, Diana Ross, Marlon Brando, Gladys Knight, and my other father, Marlon Brando, I love you."








No comments:

Post a Comment