Tuesday, May 10, 2011

" It's been a privilege to witness Michael's dazzling journey over the years which has transformed him from a singer to a superstar and from a charming little boy to a dignified man."

WMA Acceptance Speech (May 10, 2000)
Michael Jackson received the 'Male Artist Of The Millenium' award at the World Music Awards in Monte Carlo. He accepted the award personally and was introduced by Prince Albert of Monaco.
Prince Albert: I am very pleased to present the 2000 Millenium Award to an artist whose music, generosity and unmatched showmanship has lent color and brightness to the 20th century. A thousand years from now when the history of popular music is examined no single performer will be as remembered and as celebrated as Michael Jackson.
It's rare for a child performer to be successful in his adult career and than still that career to take off into the stratosphere as Michael's did
[...]
And at the close of the century he has sold more records around the world than any single artist in the history of the medium. [...] His influentual song 'We Are The World' and his international 'Heal The World Foundation' are just two of his many charitable efforts that have raised millions of $ for hundreds of important causes. Simply put Michael Jackson's influence on entertainment, on charity and in fact on our entire culture is absolutely immeassurable. As we enter the 21st century we can look forward to even more outstanding achievements in music and feature films from this incredibly talented artist. It's been a privilege to witness Michael's dazzling journey over the years which has transformed him from a singer to a superstar and from a charming little boy to a dignified man.
(Video intro to 'Childhood' and 'Beat It'. Michael Jackson appears behind a white curtain. The curtain goes up and Michael glides forward on a little catwalk. Then he walks on stage wearing a head microphone. He shakes hands with Prince Albert.)
It's an honor and privilege to present the 2000 Millenium Award to Michael Jackson.
(Prince Albert hands the award over to Michael Jackson.)
Michael Jackson: Thank you very, very much Prince Albert. I'm incredibly honored to have been chosen to receive this award. I'd like to thank the World Music Awards and especially the fans.
(Screams from the crowd.)
And you are the reason...you are the reason, why I continue to do what I do. I've been performing...
(A fan shouts: "I love you!" Michael smiles.)
I love you too. I love you. I've...I've been performing since I was 5 years old, so I haven't had what you call an ordinary life, but I've been blessed with so many extraordinary opportunities and so many wonderful, wonderful friends all over the world that I wouldn't change a minute of it, really.
I love you more! And I am so proud to thank...I thank God, and I am so proud God gave me the gift of song. And the world gave me the opportunity to be heard through music. And it's because of moments like this I can say with all my heart that I'm very proud to be an entertainer. And... You ain't seen nothing yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment